In conference with the KNUST comrade who has a bewildering fructose of speech, and a sixth sense for motivating writers of his generation

An interview with Kwabena Agyare Yeboah. By Darko Antwi

Kwabena Agyare Yeboah lives and writes from Kumasi, Ghana where he edits fiction/non-fiction for Ehanom Review in the night, and works as a technical writer in the day. His works have variously appeared on the internet and in print.

DARKO: It is on record that Songs Of My Heart was printed in your name when you turned eighteen. That made you the youngest Ghanaian to have had a book of poetry. How has that early publication influenced your writing?

KWABENA: It was before 2009, I think, when I began working on that project. I remember it as an incredible learning process. My step-grandmother had passed on to greater glory. It was a period of self-discovery. I questioned life and existence: why are we here? What does life hold? Why do we die? Is life the end to everything? Some of these thoughts led me to experiment with writing. Somehow, I fell in love with poetry. After secondary school, at eighteen years, I published that book, but I do not think in any way that I hold that record. I personally know of M J Jimmy, William Dubois and others who published books when they were younger than I was.

It is fair to say that I failed with that project. I was young, I was reckless. But that would be the biggest lessons that I would learn in life – it is okay to fail but never let it be the end. I learnt life would require my initiative. Age never mattered, my voice did. I learnt that I was never going to be a good writer; I was just trying to be a good writer (paraphrasing Chris Abani). I learnt that recklessness like wine is good for life. It did not influence my writing. It influenced my person.

DARKO: When I read your article, Writing To The World; The Ghanaian Odyssey, I commented that “Yeboah is within the group of writers who lure me to the last letter of their facility. I have an enthusiastic rush for his essays” Standing by my word, I must say that the quality of your text has since been consistent. I wonder how fulsome you write. Have you had any special writing course?

KWABENA: I thought you were too generous with that comment. God bless Philip Emeagwalifor inventing the internet. I think the best writing course anyone can ever have is social media. I spend a greater time reading. I read from friends on social media. The links they share. Even the literary feuds. The friends who email me their reading lists. Suggest literary magazines, journals, blogs etc. Those who believe in me more than I have ever believed in myself. These are what have shaped me up. I have special respect for many others who continuously re-invent the literary space using the internet. I owe the WatsApp group, THE ARC that much for this. It is the constant reminder or awareness of those people as writers that trickle down to me. I sip their inspiration. Their arts. I am because they are. I thank God that I know them, virtually or otherwise.  They remind me that as a writer, I am first and foremost a reader. By what they do and for them, I always want to be better even though I know that better is a mirage. Above its illusion is its existence. Like nirvana.

DARKO: If it is fair to argue that Ghana is presently blessed with talented authors like Boakyewaa Glover, Prince Kwasi Mensah, Amma Darko etc, yet Ghanaian literature is no closer to the depth and breadth of world recognition than it was 40 years ago, would you nevertheless be convinced that there are factors that promise a glorious future?

KWABENA: It is important to trace history if I am to attempt an answer. The early post-colonial Ghanaian writers had support systems. There was an industrious publishing sector. There were literary journals like Okyeame, GAW’s Ntakra, The Legon Observer and other literary newsletters issued by associations. There were editors of national dailies like Cameron Duodu who were not just journalists but also writers (in the literary sense) so they permitted spaces for the genres of literature. There was Ghana Book Development Cooperation or something like that which gave small grants for publishing books. There were writing prizes. Every year, students of Teacher Training Colleges were anthologized in Talents For Tomorrow. There were national anthologies like Messages and Ghana Voices that kind of immortalized generations. There was a vibrant writer association. The result was that Ghana was a force. Today, Uganda for example that was referred to as ‘’literary dessert’’, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Nigeria are the biggest literary producers and consumers because there are literary activities – literary festivals, literary journals, blogs, magazines and vibrant (at least relatively) publishing line.   By the way, it has nothing to do with population. When Ghana was a force in those days, it was because there were systems to discover and nurture talents. Ghana had a smaller population size compared to say, Nigeria yet we competed!  So it’s not like there was a point in history that there was bereft of talents. There has never been, in fact. What we have always lacked for about thirty years now is that support system. In my lifetime, I have seen a deteriorating Ghana Association of Writers (GAW). I have seen a publishing line that wants to see some initials next to your name. Regardless, I am a fair optimist. I believe in miracles. The future will be glorious because we choose to work for it.

DARKO: Speaking on the subject of criticism in governance, Hon Alan Bagbin said of his party that “I criticize to improve” With regards to literary criticism, Elisabeth Sutherland testified on The KSM Show that constructive criticism is one of the means to growth. Should you apply any of their views, how relevant would you say criticism is to career development?

KWABENA: Criticism in itself is an art. What I have learnt is to be kind to it. There will no growth without it. There will be no interpretation without it. There will be no beauty without it. Criticism is like the rainbow. You miss it when you concentrate on only one colour. The beauty is the blend with itself and the skies.  For the lack of criticism, a Ugandan proverb says, the trunk of the elephant grows longer.

DARKO: By concentrating on the strength of the writer, you make criticism look pretty simple. It seems you care so much about writers’ ego –  and for that pressure, you sweep the grotesque under carpet. Do you mind if a writer feels intimidated by a surgery on his weakness?

KWABENA: I think criticism is the most abused word in history, well aside love. Criticism should not only be about good or bad, grotesques or otherwise, heaven or hell. A critic should be able to situate a work in the body of reasoning. Originally, that was what literary criticism was about. That is why the Euro-centric tendencies have Formalism, Marxist. Feminist criticisms etc. What I am careful of is not to run ‘’How to write’’ workshops in my commentaries. I believe in the freedom of the individual in choosing what she wants. I cannot say, her diction reads like it is structured and baby of a textbook knowledge and write for another, she is careless with diction. Did she write that in her dream?  Where then lays the balance? It is this sensationalism that invitingly, I am disinterested in. It is not about caring about egos. It is about my conscience and what plainly, I see as honesty.  I focus more on interpretation than evaluation because the former is more tangible. Apart from religion, I ask for evidence in everything. 

DARKO: Would you dispel the fear which supposes that your critical work is mostly meant to heap praises on the demoralized Ghanaian writer who has been rejected by publishers in every corner of the literary world? In a bid to strengthen the fragile spirit of the art, you often overlook the overt flaws of the amateur writer. Shouldn’t you rather be forthright in your practice?

KWABENA: Being rejected by a publisher does not mean a work in itself is bad.  We have a wobbling publishing sector. It means that many writers would have to work with foreign publishers and editors. What will be my advantage, in relative terms, is the ability to identify and understand the underpinning sensibilities of writers from this part of the world. What I seek again is escapism. I am very selective about the works that I talk about. I talk about what I honestly feel. I hold writers, amateur or otherwise to the same principles that I hold myself to. By the way, ‘flaws’ are not peculiar to ‘amateur’ writers. At a point in time, life needs that aesthetic grotesque because it begins evolution and evolution begets an art which finds its language as poetry.

DARKO: Expressing his views on the social life of the stereotypical writer, the famous playwright, Uncle Ebo Whyte said that “Writing is a very jealous field. It won’t allow you to have a girlfriend” At variance with Whyte’s proverb, you and many other young writers have active social engagements, aside the pursuit of literature. Though you do not conform to reclusivity, would you ever condone elitism among writers?

KWABENA: Writers like to be fetish. The truth is, writers are humans and they have human traits. There is nothing exclusive or elitist about writing. Writers are humans who write.

DARKO: I have never imagined a new magazine that collects the finest of African literature as does Ehanom Review. Being the publisher and editor of this online novelty, could you give advice on how one could establish a charismatic content and sustain reader-interest in a blogsphere where magazines lose followers in a flash – and could hardly go beyond their 3rd (annual) issue?

KWABENA: The internet is an exciting platform and also, it democratizes literature. I do not see many problems on the demand side. My constant fear is the supply side: our end. This is a wholly voluntary venture. There is no grant for it, there is no ‘’thank you’’ donation for it. Many people who undertake these initiatives are busy professionals. It gets to time that you cannot keep with reading submissions and editing. You simply have to let it go – another chapter of history should end. May be, what people should start exploring is succession plan. Luckily, I have at least a year to do this. Let’s hope there will be another crop of people to pick it up when the bell calls our time.  

DARKO: Thank you so much! The Street wishes you the best in your post-graduation endeavours.

KWABENA: Thank you for having me here, sir. I really appreciate it. Let’s do what we can whilst we can for what we love. May God bless us all.