Fry Bread
after they   branded her
betrayer

she became
a vagabond

slinking behind
trees

jumping
over skeletons

every time she spat
a story got
lost

but for coyote

licking at her phlegm

From 4-Headed Woman Tia Chucha Press [2013] by Opal Palmer Adisa 
Biography & Picture of Opal Palmer Adisa




















ME 
me the enslaved
who ran to the hills

me the tallawah woman
machete aimed and blow delivered
me the one whose feet
would not be bound
whose womb would never carry massa’’s blood

me the tegreg gal
goddaughter of campung nanny
whose mouth sourer than lime and vinegar

me the duppy spirit confusing the confused

me     not the objective case of i
but the subject of self

me that refuse hand-me-down
second class

me the squatter
the so-help-me-god
fi me picknie dem gwane have more

me with the hunger wanting to nyam

me up and the empty bancra balanced
on me head

me with chigger foot
and yaws mouth

me doing the yanga
wheeling and turning
until spirits ride me

who me      not me
couldn’’t be         then is who

me who leggo and is called
by many names

me who      between you and me
tired of the hustling and disrespect

me     yes me
the same one
who know she nice

me who mind me own business
and keep meself safe

is me

same one

From I Name Me Name Peepal Tree Press [2008]