Congratulating the Canadian editor by whose devotion Ghanaian poetry has inspired a fortune of fellowship and reformation 

An interview with Rob Taylor. By Darko Antwi. 

ANTWI: In 2006, you were probably in Ghana for reasons other than a magazine of Ghanaian poetry. How did you end up with One Ghana One Voice?

TAYLOR: My wife (girlfriend at the time), Marta, was working at the AIDS Commission in Accra. I joined her, which really confused the immigration officials and led to many hassles with my tourist visa!
I founded OGOV after living in Accra for seven months. Over that time I had tried to find poets or writing groups I could participate in, but came up empty. I’m sure they were out there, but as an outsider I had no way of finding them (remember, this was pre-social media 2006: Facebook was in its infancy, and Twitter had yet to be invented). I figured there were many others out there (in smaller cities and towns, ex-patriot Ghanaians, fellow visitors to the country) who were equally “cut off” from a writing community, and I wanted to do something about that.

I was on GhanaWeb one day (The closest thing 2006 Ghana had to Facebook) and came upon an article on poetry by Julian Adomako-Gyimah. I got in touch with him to see if he’d want to make something happening online – a meeting place for Ghanaian poets and those interested in writing poetry on Ghana – and he was as excited as I was. At the time there were very, very few websites devoted to African writing, let alone poetry, and no such sites in Ghana, so we were keen to get something going. A few weeks later, OGOV was born!

ANTWI: In your essay, The Cyclist, you were confounded by the variability of Africa’s diverse culture. With that challenge, how did you so earnestly manage the literature of native custom and expression? 

TAYLOR: A great question. I started OGOV with great trepidation and maintained that trepidation throughout my years at the helm. OGOV has always been a team effort (first with Julian, and later with others, most notably Prince Mensah), but still I was always there at, or close to, the centre. And who was I to be doing this? I know a good deal more about Ghanaian history, politics and culture than the average Westerner (I have a Bachelor’s degree in African history, and, as mentioned, lived in Accra and traveled throughout the country) – but it’s still nothing compared to the knowledge and life experience of a born-and-raised Ghanaian.

I started the site for the same reason I’ve founded a number of organizations here in Canada – from sports clubs, to print magazines, to community writing groups and book clubs – because I wanted to see something in the world, and no one else was doing it. My plan was always to have OGOV fade away once it had “competition” doing the same work, which would mean it had served its purpose. We are in the process of doing that right now.
As to how to manage a magazine when I was an “outsider”, well, the simple answer is that I said “no” to very little. I published most of what came in (especially if by a young Ghanaian poet seeking their first publication), serving more as a facilitator than a gatekeeper. My goal was to get people reading and talking where they otherwise might not have been.

ANTWI: If any modern art could be described as being the moral conscience of society, could you place the OGOV collection in that perspective?

TAYLOR: I won’t try to speak for OGOV’s place in Ghana’s moral conscience – again, that’s just not my place. But on a personal level, the poems on OGOV deeply shaped my thinking about poetry – both its purposes and my writing of it.

The poems I received and published at OGOV were more political than any other body of work I’ve encountered before or since as a reader or editor. The poems spoke about the things that really matter in life – social issues, capital “P” politics, crime, pollution, women’s rights, religion – you name it, an OGOV poet was talking about it. The poems were more outward looking than most poems in North America. They were more interested in having a conversation with the whole community than just with other writers; more concerned with substance than style (sometimes to their detriment, of course, but often to their benefit). I needed that as a writer – to be reminded what I was writing for, which was, and is, people. Not some future reader, some canon-maker (not eternity), but the people around me here and now. The people I love. 

ANTWI: At the height of the OGOV publication, you encouraged voluntary comments of appreciation. How relevant was it to the fate of submissions which were written mostly by ‘unestablished’ writers?

TAYLOR: Readers were always encouraged to comment on the poems through the blog's comment feature, and feedback was also encouraged via our annual calls for "Poem of the Year" nominees and our "How Poems Work" series.  Your question motivated me to look back and see just how active our comment section was, and - wow! In the 2008-2010 period we were often getting 20-30 comments per poem, a few times over 50 (and once over 70!). It's hard to remember those pre-social media days when conversations played out in comment sections, but we were really going, and not just with comments on the poems themselves, but also the issues they raised (polygamy, tribalism, politics, etc.).
 I'm very glad that happened, though occasionally I felt for the author of the poem when the critiques turned overly negative or the conversation transformed into a political debate which was largely detached from the poem itself.  Still, the whole idea of OGOV was to bring poets together, and the comment sections certainly did that.

As to how such comments influenced the fate of submissions, the answer is they had very little impact. Sometimes the comments on poems would suggest an interest in certain topics or poets, and in that sense might have increased the likelihood of poems on that topic or by that author appearing more frequently. Generally, though, such editorial decisions were made without consideration to the "commentariat," and instead were based on the quality of the poems.

ANTWI: How would you respond to the critique which examines OGOV as “a sovereign space, especially charitable to Ghanaian verses, but narrowly keen on quality discretion – resulting in a huge inventory of mediocre titles”?

TAYLOR: I would agree, at least partially. As I mentioned above, my goal wasn’t to publish “only the best”. It was to bring people together (and to give young poets their first shot). But we also published some really incredible poems by poets from Ghana and around the world.
To highlight that, we worked hard to give extra promotion to the strongest poems – as determined by editors and readers – via our “Poems of the Year” feature, which we ran annually from 2007 until 2012 (http://www.oneghanaonevoice.com/search/label/Poems%20of%20the%20Year). This was an effort to “have our cake and eat it too” – to both make a space for everyone and to particularly celebrate some of the very best work being written. 

ANTWI: Under what circumstance would you recommend the value of self-publication to a poet of OGOV advent (or any poet of similar experience)?

TAYLOR: Oh, this is a question with so many answers! First, there is self-publication early in your writing life: say, an online blog, or Facebook posts, or a self-published print chapbook for friends and family. I think all these things are brilliant, and everyone should do them when starting out and finding their footing. Gain some confidence! Find some readers! Have fun!
For many, doing the above will satisfy their desires as writers. Others, of course, will want to go further – to publish poems in larger magazines, to publish books, etc. Then my answer is (mostly) to minimize self-publishing. I completely understand the temptation to self-publish. The reality is you’re going to write a lot of bad poems, and face seemingly endless rejection, in the journey to becoming a successful writer. It makes perfect sense to want to shortcut the process.
It took me almost a decade of writing before my first book was accepted by a publisher. Along the way, I had over 900 poem-rejections by magazines (now over 1200, and counting). And sometimes it hurt. Sometimes a lot. But it made me a better writer, too, by forcing me to face my shortcomings and improve on them.
The “(mostly)” above refers to a couple things:
1. I still self-publish here or there as the spirit moves me (if, say, I write a topical poem about a political event and want to get it out to readers immediately, or I write a personal poem that I only am interested in having a few friends or family members read). But these are the exceptions rather than the rule.
2. Social media (Instagram poets, for instance) has opened up some paths to wide readership that are being created as we speak. The future may all be online self publishing, for all I know. But for now that seems like a massive sea to drop into, with very few islands to swim to.

ANTWI: How has life after OGOV been?

TAYLOR: Great! I have a bad tendency of holding on to projects for too long – I become used to the routine, and sentimentally attached. But with OGOV I knew from the beginning that a time would come for me to walk away, which made finally doing so easier.

Looking back, OGOV was an incredible amount of work! When the magazine was at its peak – for about six years there – I was reviewing, accepting, editing and publishing a poem a week, year round, alongside an interview with the author. It was madness, really. But I loved the work, and didn’t realise how much of my life it was taking up until I stepped back.
I enjoyed that extra time for a few months, and then Marta and I had a baby. So now “OGOV time” has become “baby time” (and “writing time” has become “baby time”, and “sleep time” has become “baby time”, etc.). On top of that, I have a new book out, The News (poems written during, and about, Marta’s pregnancy), the promotion of which sucks up whatever tiny spare moments the baby allows.

ANTWI: Two years after your resignation, have you ever felt an OGOV Saturday poetry nostalgia? 

TAYLOR: Yes! I miss joy of opening an email and having a poem from a stranger knock me sideways. More than that, though, I miss the friendships. I miss exchanging thoughts on poems and poetry with people like yourself, and Prince Mensah, and Martin Egblewogbe, and Nii Parkes, and Mariska Araba Taylor and most of all, the late L.S Mensah. I've met few finer minds and I miss her dearly.

ANTWI: We appreciate your interest and service toward the development of Ghanaian poetry. Thank you very much!

TAYLOR: Thank you for this chance to chat, Darko – and for all you do. It’s always a pleasure to speak with you, and to be able to talk about such a happy time in my life. 

 

Rob Taylor is the author of two poetry collections, The News (Gaspereau Press, 2016) and The Other Side of Ourselves (Cormorant Books, 2011), and five poetry chapbooks. The News was a finalist for the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize and The Other Side of Ourselves won the Alfred G. Bailey Prize. Rob lived in Accra in 2006/07, where he co-founded One Ghana, One Voice, Ghana's first online poetry magazine. He now lives in Vancouver, Canada with his wife and son, where he coordinates the Dead Poets Reading Series and teaches Creative Writing at the University of the Fraser Valley.



http://philliswheatleychapter.blogspot.com/2010/10/pwc-online-shop_8055.html                   

Title: The News  
Author: Rob Taylor

Paperback: 64 pages 
Publisher: Gaspereau Press
ISBN-10: 1554471648 
ISBN-13: 978-1554471645