Darkography

I walked into a forest
Of many colours
And found myself in Satan’s world

And there's a voodoo priestess,
playing hopscotch               
between the yard of a charcoal seller
And an avocado tree

Under silver moon,
and in a trance,
she played monopoly
with a variety of flying camels          
                    
Just a mile ahead
there stood a temple
watched-over by a crawling soul,
to whom many swore eternal affection

Through tempest and whirlwinds
I tasted bile and granite

I sighed
I went on

Beyond the temple
a crook of ravens
who seem to suffer from bulimia nervosa
were hovering
and preying on
what looks like a goldfish

While on the carcass,
they looked very much paranoid –
watching their backs in mistrust,
as if I was a scarecrow

But I turned eastward
And an unknown spirit met me 
where I paused

He shook my hand
We communed in arithmetic
He gave me what belongs to Caesar
The rest, he blew into thin air 

Sleepwalking 

As shadows trespass 
on the foetus of the sky
to sprout forth the moon,

We step on seaweed and sand dunes,
off the tidemark.
And wallow in the Mediterranean Sea,
transformed!

We cheer and smile  
And the waves of our smile
beam at the celestial lights.

We are the Mediterranean

And the Mediterranean is us

In our utopian errands, 
we wield some majestic force
– we flow; smooth, crystal, long and wide.

And all along, 
we see the pillars and arches of Venice.
And compare, in our drowsy psyche  

– that, they had sprung up overnight 
like Cape flora.


We are the Mediterranean
And the Mediterranean is us

Sensual, yet so soon
we walk back our regal persona 
against the roller-coasting role,
beyond the eyes of the shore.

And at a wink...
we are still a mite of mildewed brooks   
scattered on a green land.                                              
                                                                         We aren’t the Mediterranean                          And the Mediterranean isn’t us

  Darko Antwi 2020. All Rights Reserved